Psychosis is a condition that affects the way a person’s brain processes information. It causes them to lose touch with reality. They might see, hear, or believe things that aren’t real. Psychosis is a symptom, not an illness. A mental or physical illness, substance abuse, or extreme stress or trauma can cause it.
People who are experiencing psychosis may have either hallucinations or delusions. Hallucinations are sensory experiences that occur within the absence of an actual stimulus.
Symptoms of Psychosis
The classic signs and symptoms of psychosis include;
- Hallucinations – hearing, seeing, or feeling things that don’t exist
- Delusions – false beliefs, especially based on fear or suspicion of things that are not real
- Disorganization – in thought, speech, or behaviour
- Disordered thinking – jumping between unrelated topics, making strange connections
- Catatonia – unresponsiveness
- Difficulty concentrating
Bizarre Delusions during Psychosis
Examples of psychotic delusions include the paranoid type – more likely to be associated with schizophrenia – and delusions of grandeur.
Paranoid Delusions – these may cause the person with psychosis to be unduly suspicious of individuals or organizations, believing them to be plotting to cause them harm.
Delusions of Grandeur – clearly false but strongly held belief in having a special power or authority – for instance they may believe that they are a world leader.
Treatment for psychosis involves using a combination of;
- Antipsychotic Medication – which can help relieve the symptoms of psychosis
- Psychological Therapies – the one-to-one talking therapy cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has proved successful in helping people with schizophrenia.
- Social Support – support with social needs, such as education, employment, or accommodation.
Most people with psychosis who get better with medication need to continue taking it for at least a year. Some people need to take medication long term to prevent symptoms recurring.
What We Offer
We at Almurshidi Medical Tourism will find the best doctors to cater to your needs. We are partnered with a wide network of hospitals and clinics that provide top quality medical experience.
We provide free medical estimates, make medical appointments, and provide several medical opinions if needed at no cost.
For more information contact us at +66822004040 or via WhatsApp