Tuberculosis (TB) is a disease caused by bacteria called Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The bacteria usually attack the lungs, but they can also damage other parts of the body.
Most infections do not have symptoms, in which case it is known as latent tuberculosis. About 10% of latent infections progress to active disease which, if left untreated, kills about half of those affected.
TB spreads through the air when a person with TB of the lungs or throat coughs, sneezes, or talks.
Symptoms may include
- A bad cough that lasts 3 weeks or longer
- Weight loss
- Night sweats
- Loss of appetite
- Coughing up blood or mucus
- Weakness or fatigue
Anyone can get tuberculosis, but certain factors can increase the risk of the disease. These factors include:
- Weakened Immune System – a number of diseases, conditions and medications can weaken the immune system including:
- Certain cancers
- Severe kidney disease
- Cancer treatment, such as chemotherapy
- Drugs to prevent rejection of transplanted organs
- Very young or advanced age
- Some drugs used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, crohn’s disease and psoriasis
- Traveling or living in certain areas – the risk of contracting tuberculosis is higher for people who live in or travel to areas that have high rates of tuberculosis and drug-resistant tuberculosis
- Poverty and substance use
- Lack of medical care
- Substance use
- Tobacco use
- Where you work or live
- health care work
- Living or working in a residential care facility
- Living in or emigrating from a country where TB is common
- Living with someone infected with TB
- Medications are the cornerstone of tuberculosis treatment, but treating TB takes much longer than treating other types of bacterial infections.
Most common TB drugs – those that have latent tuberculosis, may need to take only one or two types of TB drug.
What We Offer
We at Almurshidi Medical Tourism will find the best doctors and hospitals to cater to your needs. We are partnered with a wide network of hospitals and clinics that provide top quality medical experience.
We provide free medical estimates, make medical appointments and provide several medical opinions if needed at no cost.
For more information contact us at +66822004040 or via WhatsApp