Lipoprotein Apheresis is the treatment to lower the LDL (Low-density lipoprotein) or the bad cholesterol and the lipoprotein.
There are two types of cholesterol which are:
- Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) which is also know as “bad” cholesterol
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL) or the “good” cholesterol
How does Lipoprotein Apheresis work?
Lipoprotein apheresis works by cleansing the blood of LDL “bad” cholesterol while leaving the HDL “good” cholesterol.
Although this is time-consuming and expensive, other patients need to do this because:
- this is an important tool for the management of patients with severe drug-resistant dyslipidaemias
- this plays an important role in managing patients with homozygous FH (familial hypercholesterolaemia)
- this help prevent cardiovascular disease
How is lipoprotein apheresis performed?
- Circulates a portion of the blood outside the body and passes it through a special adsorber column.
- The treatment involves placing two needles (cannulae) into your veins.
- The procedure needs to be carried out either every week or every two weeks
How to avoid the adverse reaction to the treatment?
To avoid side effects like nausea, hypotension (low blood pressure), light-headedness, headache, anemia, etc.
- Please do not have the treatment on an empty stomach. Make sure you eat and drink enough before we start your treatment. You may also eat and drink during the procedure.
- Do not drink alcohol during the 24 hours before your treatment.
- Do not perform strenuous exercise on the day of your treatment.
- You may need to have an iron supplement if you develop anemia.
When to see a doctor?
This condition is difficult to treat so it it advisable to consult your doctor immediately when you suspect yourself having this problem.
Do not wait until your condition lead you to suffer much. It is always better to prevent than to cure. High cholesterol can cause a dangerous accumulation of cholesterol which can cause complications such as:
- Heart attack
- Chest pain
So it is always recommended to seek help from a specialist.
Call : +66822004040
Whatsapp : https://wa.me/66822004040