Peripheral neuropathy refers to the conditions that result when nerves that carry messages to and from the brain and spinal cord from and to the rest of the body are damaged or diseased.
Peripheral neuropathy can result from traumatic injuries, infections, metabolic problems, inherited causes and exposure to toxins.
Every nerve in the peripheral system has a specific function, so symptoms depend on the type of the nerves affected. Nerves are classified into;
- Sensory nerves that receive sensation, such as temperature, pain, vibration or touch, from the skin.
- Motor nerves that control muscle movement
- Autonomic nerves that control functions such as blood pressure, heart rate, digestion and bladder
Signs and symptoms of peripheral neuropathy might include;
- Gradual onset of numbness, prickling or tingling in the feet or hands, which can spread upward into the legs and arms.
- Sharp, jabbing, throbbing or burning pain
- Extreme sensitivity to touch
- Pain during activities that shouldn’t cause pain, such as pain in the pain when putting weight on them or when they’re under a blanket
- Lack of coordination or falling
- Muscle weakness
- Feeling as if wearing gloves or socks when they’re not
- Paralysis if motor nerves are affected
If autonomic nerves are affected, signs and symptoms might include;
- Heat intolerance
- Excessive sweating or not being able to sweat
- Bowel, bladder or digestive problems
- Changes in blood pressure, causing dizziness or lightheadedness
Treatments either target the underlying cause, or it aims to provide symptomatic pain relief and prevent further damage. Not all of the underlying causes of neuropathy can be treated.
Nerve pain may be treated with prescribed medicines called neuropathic pain agents, as standard painkillers often do not work. If the patient has other symptoms associated with peripheral neuropathy, these may need to be treated individually.
Treatment for muscle weakness may involve physiotherapy and walking aids.
What We Offer
We at Almurshidi Medical Tourism will find the best doctors to cater to your needs. We are partnered with a wide network of hospitals and clinics that provide top quality medical experience.
We provide free medical estimates, make medical appointments, and provide several medical opinions if needed at no cost.
For more information contact us at +66822004040 or via WhatsApp