Allergic Contact Dermatitis (ACD) is a form of contact dermatitis that is the manifestation of an allergic response caused by contact with a substance; other types being irritant contact dermatitis.
Allergic Contact Dermatitis also called “contact allergy” is a form of dermatitis/eczema caused by an allergic reaction to a material, called an allergen, in contact with the skin. The allergen is harmless to people that are not allergic
The symptoms for ACD depends on the cause and how sensitive one is to the substance.
Symptoms associated with Allergic Contact Dermatitis include:
- Dry, scaly, flaky skin
- Skin redness
- Skin that burns
- Oozing blisters
- Skin that appears darkened or leathery
- Extreme itching
- Swelling, especially in the eyes, face, or groin areas
- Sin sensitivity
Common causes of ACD include contact with;
- Latex gloves
- Jewelry made from nickel or gold
- Poison oak or poison ivy
- Perfume or chemicals in cosmetics and skin care products
Avoiding initial exposure to irritants can help prevent ACD for example
- Purchasing products labeled “hypoallergenic” or “unscented”
- Wearing long-sleeved shirts and pants when hiking in the wilderness
- Refraining from wearing latex gloves of one has latex allergy
- If irritation is noticed when using a new product, stop using it immediately
Preventing ACD is easy though there are times that we cannot help it from occurring, therefore treatment for severe ACD has been made available for those affected.
If home care steps doesn’t ease signs and symptoms, a doctor may prescribe medications such as;
- Steroid Creams or Ointments – these topically applied creams or ointments help soothe the rash of the contact dermatitis. A topical steroid may be applied one or two times a day for two to four weeks
- Oral Medications – in severe cases, the doctor may prescribe oral corticosteroids to reduce inflammation, antihistamines to relieve itching or antibiotics to fight bacterial infection.
What We Offer
We at Almurshidi Medical Agency will find the best doctors and clinics to cater to your needs. We are partnered with a wide network of hospitals and clinics that provide top quality medical experience.
We provide free medical estimates, make medical appointments and provide several medical opinions if needed at no cost.
For more information contact us at +66822004040 or via WhatsApp