A chest infection is an infection that affects a person’s lower large airways (bronchi) and lungs.
Pneumonia and bronchitis are the most common chest infection. Bronchitis is usually caused by a viral infection. Pneumonia is usually due to bacterial infection.
Symptoms of a Chest Infection
The symptoms of a chest infection can include;
- Chesty cough (wet or phlegmy)
- Coughing up yellow or green mucus
- Feeling short of breath
- Discomfort in the chest
- Muscle aches and pains
- Feeling tired or fatigued
There are several types of chest infections, including;
- Bronchitis – it is one of the most common chest infections. It occurs as a result of an infection of the bronchi, which are major airways to the lungs.
- Pneumonia – it is an infection that occurs in the airways of the lungs, causing the air sacs to become inflamed and swell with fluid or pus. Many germs can cause pneumonia, though bacterial pneumonia and viral pneumonia are most common.
- Tuberculosis – is a bacterial infection that develops due to Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the lungs or airways.
Treatment will depend on what caused a person’s chest infection;
A virus (like viral bronchitis) – this usually clears up by itself after a few weeks and antibiotic will not help
Bacteria (like pneumonia) – the doctor may prescribe antibiotic (the patient must make sure to complete the whole course as advised by the doctor, even if they already start to feel better)
When to seek help from a healthcare provider
A patient should always go to see a doctor for chest infection if they;
- Are over 65 years old
- Have a child under 5 with symptoms of a chest infection
- Are pregnant
- Have a chronic health condition or weakened immune system
- Cough up blood or bloody mucus
- Have quick breathing, pain in their chest, or shortness of breath
- Have symptoms such as a fever or headache that gets worse
- Feel dizzy, confused, or disoriented
- Have cough that lasts longer than 3 weeks
What We Offer
We at Almurshidi Medical Tourism will find the best doctors to cater to your needs. We are partnered with a wide network of hospitals and clinics that provide top quality medical experience.
We provide free medical estimates, make medical appointments, and provide several medical opinions if needed at no cost.
For more information contact us at +66822004040 or via WhatsApp