Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) is a condition when a person takes more time and effort to move food or liquid from mouth to the stomach.
Sometimes, it is associated with pain and swallowing is impossible.
This can occur at any age but is more common to adults.
What are the causes?
Causes of difficulty in swallowing is still unidentified but the research thought that some conditions can trigger dysphagia:
- Acid reflux and GERD
- Esophageal cancer
- Stomach cancer (gastric adenocarcinoma)
- Herpes esophagitis
- Recurrent herpes simplex labialis
- Snake bites
- Infectious mononucleosis
- Thyroid nodule
What are the symptoms?
Signs and symptoms associated with dysphagia may include:
- Bringing food back up (regurgitation)
- Having food or stomach acid back up into your throat
- Unexpectedly losing weight
- Coughing or gagging when swallowing
- Having pain while swallowing (odynophagia)
- Being unable to swallow
- Being hoarse
When to see a doctor?
If someone is experiencing the above-mentioned, and his life has been affected due to the symptoms, you should consult your doctor immediately to provide treatments.
Do not let yourself suffer to this condition. A lot of specialists are here in Thailand to support and give the care that you need.
Difficulty swallowing can lead to complications such as:
- Aspiration pneumonia – occurs when food, saliva, liquids, or vomit is breathed into the lungs or airways leading to the lungs, instead of being swallowed into the esophagus and stomach
- Malnutrition, weight loss and dehydration
We offer free consultations and estimates for you.
Call : +66822004040
Whatsapp : https://wa.me/66822004040